Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Thievery Corporation

Tuesday night Jerill and I were "cool kids" and went to a concert at the Paramount. We saw the band/group Thievery Corporation. This band has been around for awhile now and Jerill has had/played their music for many years as well.

Other than starting 45 minutes late, it was a good show to see live, which was a bit of a suprise actually since the two founders of the band are DJs who mix music electronically and basically stood behind huge (and expensive) music makers. The band is also comprised of a horn section, an extensive percussion section, a bass/setar player and a guitarist. Further, they have 7 different singers - 4 women and 3 guys, all from around the world and with varying styles (Reggae, French, Iranian, etc.). We didn't have high expectations so we were pleasantly surprised.

Their website is www.thieverycorporation.com - you can get all the specs/history there.
Here is a link to the music from one of my favorite albums they have put out. Just click on the song titles to sample the music: http://www.thieverycorporation.com/discography.aspx?item=0

And here is a video I found on You Tube that features one of their more popular, and "harder" songs (Reggae inspiration). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTVDjdnvg7c&feature=related

They are a bit of a political music group which I personally find annoying since this means that hippie types also show up to their shows (can we just say I saw more pot being smoked in the Paramount last night than I have ever seen/smelled at the Gorge Amphitheatre!). However, their political messages and voice are consistent over time and I do value that. I listen to Thievery Corporation a lot while I'm working. In fact, I am sure there have been many research reports submitted where my writing style was influenced by the jazzy tunes of this band (and Gotan Project, and Massive Attack).

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment